2014年2月25日星期二

What does the sea water taste like?

Date: 20th February 2014
Day: Thursday
Time: 4:00-5:00pm
Class: Starfruit
Theme: Underwater World
Teacher: Teacher Yeong

What does the sea water taste like?

Teacher: We had studied about whale and shark. So where do they live?
Children: Water.
Teacher: We had a pond the school. There’s water there. Did you find a whale or shark in it?
Children: No.
Teacher: So, where can we find them? (I drew a picture of a mountain, a river that flows into the sea.)
Children: River.
Teacher: That’s a good one. The river will flow out to … (I pointed to the sea but none of them replied correctly.)
Teacher: This is where the whale and shark lives.
Children: I know. Sea. (Finally, they managed to see the connection of the picture.)
Teacher: Do you know the taste of the sea? (The children shook their head)
Teacher: Have you been to the beach?
Children: Yes…yes…I love the beach. I play in the water. (I think they don’t remember about tasting the sea water.)


I had prepared some water in two different containers which one is just plain water while the other one added with salt. I asked the children to observe and see if there’s any difference in it. They said no difference.


Two different container with cups ready for the water tasting. 

I started to give each child some small amount of the plain water to taste.

Teacher: What’s the taste of it?
Children: Sweet…

Tasting the 1st plain water. Happily drinking it. 


Then, I gave them another small amount of the salt water. Before they could get a 2nd sip of it, some of them rush to spit it out in the toilet. I guess it’s too salty.


Looking at some of the children's expression, the water doesn't taste good. 

Teacher: Do you know what taste is that?
Children: Yucks! (But still not sure how to describe it)
Teacher: It’s salty taste. That’s the taste of the sea water. Would you like to have some more of it?
Children: No. I want the 1st one. The sweet one. 


没有评论:

发表评论